Saturday, August 4, 2012

Brazil



I was the invited presenter at the 2012 Brazil’s Patchwork Design Exhibition in Rio de Janeiro (May 30-June 2) and Sao Paolo (June 14-16).

    Zeca welcomes me to the show

Zeca Medeiros, the organizer visited my studio in San Antonio, Texas in October 2011 and selected the 17 pieces of work that he wanted for the show. There was a large attendance, especially on Saturday. The people take the show seriously and they engaged me on technique, meaning, origins etc. I met many Brazilian quilt artists. Although they mostly spoke Portuguese, and I spoke English, the common language was the artwork, and we enjoyed sharing our passion for the craft.







The show also featured quilts from Brazilians, as well as from the Contemporary Quilt Art Association, a Seattle based group that has promoted the appreciation of art quilts for about 30 years.


While in Sao Paolo I was fortunate to see a review of the works of Alberto Giacometti at the Pinacoteca do Estado. At the Museum of Art, Sao Paolo (MASP) I got to see the Modigliani show.


Overall the trip was a wonderful experience, and my work was well received.

Want to samba!!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment